Thursday, November 29, 2012

Orange Slice Ornaments

 
Last year, I stumbled across some instructions on the easiest impatient-person-friendly ornaments ever. And they're so pretty. For my ADD, this project worked GREAT. All you need is citrus and a sharp knife, a baking sheet and an oven.

OK, so there are LOTS of instructions for how to make these out there on the internets/Pinterest, etc. But a lot of them make this more difficult and crafty ("add cinnamon! sprinkle with sugar! sprinkle with glitter!" and a bunch of complicating crap like that). Ignore them and do it the easy way and it's simpler and more elegant in my opinion.

Here's what I remember:

1. slice oranges across the sections (so they look like wheels), into 1/4" to 1/2" rounds. The thinner they are, the clearer they'll be... but you also run the risk of them tearing or getting holes.

2. Place rounds on a cookie sheet and bake at some low temperature for hours until they are dry as toast! (you probably have to turn them once to finish them off). Try 150 degrees for 3-4 hours, see how it works. Just don't turn the oven up too high or it will make them burn and turn dark.

3. THE END. Oh, get some thread and needle, and thread a loop through the orange to make it hang-able on the Christmas tree.

4. Bonus: your house smells amazing while these suckers are in the oven.

Here's my pics from last year:

 (pay no attention to the fennel on the bottom left)
 Plateful of the Martha Stewart worthy ones. Yes, you've already seen this. Yes, I'm proud of myself.
 Reality check: they don't all come out perfect. But I still like these. And if I do it again, I'll use THESE in apple cider mulling spice mix.
 See how clear they can get? Well, the lemon slices got really clear for me.
They look so pretty on the tree. The end!

1 comment:

  1. I made this and burnt my ornaments. Fortunately a dear friend took pity and sent me some in the mail. I love Adriel.

    ReplyDelete