Monday, June 25, 2012

Popcorn + Herbs + Salt + Sugar = Addiction

In my last post, I delivered my full arsenal of spice mixes, my favorite kitchen weapons of mass seasoning. I forgot about how much I love them for POPCORN too.

I love making stove-top popcorn because it is
1. A simple process and you don't have to own or store any bulky equipment
2. Speedy to make
3. Require minimal dishes and is a fast clean-up
4. HELLA CHEAP
5. HELLA LOW-CAL
6. HELLA TASTY

You need:
A) popcorn kernels
B) Pan w/ a lid and capacity for 12+ cups
C) oil - preferably high-heat, like coconut or vegetable oil (olive will burn)
D) vegetable oil cooking spray
E) popcorn salt (it's the super-fine powdered salt. Otherwise, regular salt)
F) spices*

The bag of popcorn will have instructions on it, but you essentially heat up about 3 TBSP of oil in the pan SUPER SUPER hot, test 3 kernels in there, and when they all have popped, you can add 1/3 c. of kernels and start shaking the pan with the lid on, waiting for it to go nuts. When the popping dies down, turn it off.

After you've gotten your big fluffy pan of popped corn, you can spray it with the cooking spray (keeps the calories down and makes the salt/spices stick). Then salt/season to taste!

* Highly recommended seasonings:

1. If you live near Ballard, WA, just go to The Ballard Market and buy their house-made smoky rub. It's phenomenal. I have it in my cupboard. I finally saw they had an ingredients list and will try at some point to re-create it but I don't know the quantities and ratios. Here's the pic I took of the ingredients on the bulk-foods bin it came out of:
Ground cumin, onion granules, kosher salt, smoked paprika, ancho chili pepper (ground), granulated sugar, brown sugar.

I've decided it's the sugar, salt and heat that really makes this stuff so ridiculously addictive. Took it to a party as the poorman's contribution and it was a surprise smash hit. Everyone loves it. I can't stop eating it.

Other combos I love:
1. Using my spice rubs. Watch out, if you have one with too much pepper, it will make you start coughing like crazy because the cayenne gets in your lungs.
2. Fresh herbs and salt ... simple : thyme and salt, maybe with lemon zest.
3. Buying a spice rub in town.
4. Old fashioned salt.

Happy popping!

No comments:

Post a Comment