Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Adventures in Sangria

I tested a lot of white or pink sangrias this summer. I'm sharing photos from my prettiest and unfortunately least-rewarding endeavor*... a Caliente Sangria, with jalepeno to spice things up!

*My mistake was using unripe fruit. 
Everything was sour and hard, not luscious and soft! 
Also, I just don't prefer pepper in my sangria, I guess!

As you can see, white sangria is absolutely gorgeous and showcases the fruit better than a red sangria. I honestly think they taste better and are more refreshing, too. Nothing beats a cold glass of white or pink sangria under a porch umbrella on a hot day!

I also think I've boiled down the basics to put together a GREAT white or pink sangria every time. Here's the formula... you should experiment with one!

1. One bottle of Sauvignon Blanc or Rose. My favorite is, honestly Barefoot. It's delicious. You want something that is fairly dry, and not too expensive.
2. One bottle of champagne, prosecco, or cava -- again not to expensive, but not one you think is disgusting on its own. I actually find most proseccos or cavas are better tasting. Just my experience. You need bubbles.
3. Three kinds of RIPE fruit, 1 cup each. Good ones include: peaches, nectarines, grapes, cherries, apples... think stone fruits and things you often taste hints of in wine. Strawberries and other tender fruits may work, too, but realize they're delicate and will fall apart faster. If you use underripe fruit, your sangria will hardly be flavored at all, and will be forgettable.
4. Two shots of one or two kinds of hard liquor that pairs well. For example, peach schnapps with peaches and nectarines. Pear brandy with apples and lemons. Think what flavors you would like to taste together.
5. Sweetener. If your liquor has sugar in it (like peach schnapps, or limoncello) you may not need any sweetener. If you're using tequila or brandy or something that is not pumped with sugar, you'll need to add a few tablespoons of honey or agave or dissolved sugar.
6. Extra: add an herb if you'd like! Basil, mint, thyme, etc. Get creative!


Assembly:

1. Slice fruit into bite-size chunks, and place in bottom of sangria pitcher. (Add herbs if you're using them.)
2. Pour hard alcohol and sweetener over the fruit. Stir and allow to macerate for at least an hour.
3. Add white wine or rose, but don't stir. Steep 6 hours or overnight, covered.
4. Just before serving, add bubbly.
5. Pour over glasses filled with ice.

DELISHUS!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment